ORANGE COUNTY VEHICLE THEFT
RECOVERY OFFICER OF THE YEAR
AWARDS PRESENTATION BRUNCH
|The 23rd Annual Orange County ATAC Vehicle Theft Recovery
Officer of the Year Awards Brunch took place on May 9th, 2013 at the
Sponsored by the Orange County Auto Theft Advisory Committee (A.T.A.C.), a partnership between law enforcement, insurance, and other auto related companies to reduce auto theft. A.T.A.C. is a subcommittee of the Western States Auto Theft Investigators Association, Southern Chapter.
"Unfortunately, Orange County continues to experience an on-going vehicle theft problem: Stolen vehicles are used by the criminal element for robberies of businesses and private citizens, for violent gang activity, and other serious crime. As we witness all too often on the news, these stolen vehicles are often used to flee from police officers, endangering the lives of the public and law enforcement officers. Organized crime groups continue to steal vehicles for the benefit of criminal enterprise, including the use of the vehicles for smuggling of human cargo and illicit drugs, as well as for the illegal exportation to other countries. Law enforcement officers throughout Orange County continue to wage the battle against the crime of vehicle theft. To underscore the need for continued vigilance, staffing, and funding for this plague, in 2012, despite the hard work and arrests made by Orange County law enforcement officers, vehicle theft increased approximately 18%.
The Auto Theft Advisory Committee, in sponsoring the Vehicle Theft Recovery Officer of the Year Program, intends to raise public awareness in three ways:
* First: The Auto Theft Advisory Committee will continue to recognize the positive results law enforcement efforts have had upon the vehicle theft problem in Orange County.
* Second: The Auto Theft Advisory Committee will continue to work with the media to produce public awareness messages which will provide tips to help prevent vehicle theft.
* And Third: Is the reason we are all here today. The Auto Theft Advisory Committee will continue to recognize those officers in Orange County who excel at vehicle theft recovery. These awards were developed to honor excellence in law enforcement and to encourage officers to strive for excellence in vehicle theft recovery in the future.
The criteria qualifying an officer for the award consist of these conditions:
1) The sworn peace officer must have been a regular 'road' patrol officer when she or he earned the statistics qualifying her or him for the award. This means that officers assigned to vehicle theft investigative positions and task force assignments are ineligible because they have an unfair advantage.
2) Awards are usually presented to one individual, unless the agency has nominated a two officer team, who will then share the award.
3) ATAC carefully reviews the nomination submissions forwarded by each law enforcement agency and place a higher emphasis on rolling vehicle recoveries, arrests and significant case highlights, as submitted by the nominating agencies."
As presented by Master of Ceremonies
Pat Haslam, KNX1070 / Real Orange KOCE Public TV Featured Reporter,
at the May 9th, 2013 A.T.A.C. Officer of the Year Awards Presentation
ORANGE COUNTY AUTO THEFT ADVISORY
Click on the link below to go to the Awards Presentation of your choice: